How much are you ready to pay for the domain? I guess it’s under $20. But what about the most expensive domains ever sold? Find out in this article.
- Cars.com was purchased by GANNET CO., Inc. in 2014 for $872 million. In Company’s Securities and Exchange Commission fillings mentioned next statement: “After the impairment testing date, we completed our acquisition of Cars.com and as a result recorded an indefinite-lived trade name valued at $872 million. As this trade name was recorded at fair value on the date of acquisition, any future declines in the fair value of the trade name would result in an impairment charge.” This the most expansive domain ever sold.
- CarInsurance.com domain was sold in 2010 for $49.7 million. Obviously this website address is used for car insurance sale and it’s owned by QuinStreet (publicly traded marketing company based in California). QuinStreet own carInsurance.com, insure.com, insurance.com. etc.
- Insurance.com purchased for $35.6 million by QuinStreet.
- PrivateJet.com was sold to Nations Luxury Transportation, LLC in 2012 for $30.18 million. With this domain name is mess: PrivateJet.com is not working, but PrivateJets.com is used for the private jets hiring. I didn’t find accurate information and rely on GoDaddy information about it.
- Voice.com domain sold in 2019 for $30 million. GoDaddy was hired to acquire the domain on behalf of the client. The domain name has been used by Block.one to launch its new blockchain-based social media platform called Voice. Premium domain names are considered to be high value liquid assets, and play a huge part in business branding. Block company has raised $4 billion as a result of the biggest ICO (initial coin offer) in 2018. But the company didn’t not explain how the capital will be used.
- LasVegas.com was purchased by VEGAS.com, LLC and about this mentioned in their Securities and Exchange Commission fillings. According to different sources domain was sold for $90 million but according to my calculation based on SEC filings the domain cost $29.976.000 dollars only. This is what mentioned in SEC filings “In June 2005, VEGAS.com, LLC entered into an agreement for the purchase of LasVegas.com. The agreement specified that a $12,000,000, one-time payment be made upon execution of the agreement along with monthly payments of approximately $83,000 for 36 months, $125,000 for the next 60 months, and then $208,000 for the next 36 months. Per the terms of the agreement, after June 30, 2016, following the 132 initial monthly payments, VEGAS.com, LLC in its sole discretion may terminate the agreement and forfeit the domain name. If VEGAS.com, LLC chooses not to terminate the agreement, they will continue making the monthly payments of approximately $208,000 until June 30, 2040, at which time the seller will transfer the domain name to VEGAS.com”.
- Internet.com current owner purchased the domain for an undisclosed sum in 2020 (prior to that the domain was purchased by QuinStreet in 2009 for $18 million). But in 2022 the internet.com domain is available for an auction with starting price of $30 million. Internet.com consistently attracts more than 5 million unique visitors per month.
- 360.com was sold to Qihoo (Software company) in 2015 for $17 million. The popular Chinese company was already running their website on 360.cn and purchased the dot-com domain name for a more trustworthy worldwide presence.
- Insure.com domain name was purchased by marketing firm QuinStreet for $16 million in 2009.
- S*x.com domain name was purchased for $13 million in 2010 and was listed in a Guinness World Record for “most expensive internet address domain name”.
Domain name is the manifestation of the strong online presence of the company. It’s not the easy thing to find the perfect domain name because majority of easy to remember domains already taken. When I was choosing the domain name for my blog I made a few mistakes (name is too long, hyphens used). For business of any size the domain name must be easy to memorize and represent of what company offers.
Top 10 most expensive domains ever sold is the example of ideal domain name. Even if user didn’t search for that particular website, it will be displayed on top of the list because of domain name and SEO (search engine optimization). For companies it’s an investment because of generated extra business opportunities.